Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Gurrilla Girl @ my School


This fall my college had a presentation by one of the members of the well known art protest group the Guerrilla Girls Jane Caufnmen. As she presented almost all of her and the other members work I was astonished by what they have made in the past. There were protest posters that were short and to the point of what they protest about. The one that my attention was a photograph of a police men pushing over a homeless person off a bench. The text on the post card said, Q. What’s the difference between a prisoner of war and a homeless person? A. under the Geneva convention, a prisoner of war is entitled to food, shelter and medical care. Another on that shocked me was the George Bush, “the Education President. “ this was during the time when President Bush was going to be the provider of education. The poster has tombstones shaped as crosses and each one of them has a graduation hats on them. These made me think of how messed they made their works so shocking and it was a good thing for them. If it shocks the viewer then it means the message that their trying to get across is working. The Guerrilla Girls were big feminist that protested about almost everything that seems wrong in not only our country, but the whole world. Their art work is still very well known and famous. I was really glad that she had the time to come to my school and show her work.  






No comments:

Post a Comment